NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (Quick Comments)

Have you ever seen Trains, Planes, and Automobiles? It’s one of those movies I’d always assumed I’d seen, but this morning I caught the tail end on TBS and realized I’ve definitely never watched the entire film. Director John Hughes wants me to believe Steve Martin’s character decides to basically adopt the guy he met less than a week earlier (John Candy’s character)?

If you haven’t seen the movie, I highly recommend it for its intentional and unintentional comedy. For starters, John Candy’s mustache is hilarious. Also, the scene in which the two chums are driving on the wrong side of the highway is legendary, so much in fact that my friend JB and I quote it on a regular basis. Candy’s character thinks the driver next to him wants to race, when in fact the man and his wife are screaming, “You’re going the wrong way!”

Finally, the closing scene is ridiculous. Martin’s character arrives home to greet his family (including in-laws), introducing to them his newly adopted son/brother. Then his wife walks down the stairs, breathtaking beauty magnified each step down. When her eyes meet w/ Martin’s, the love and attraction is evident. In case the viewer misses it, Hughes decides to focus on Candy’s hands holding his hat over his crotch, as if he’s hiding something. Cue the closing credits, w/ me looking around in bafflement. Movies like this make me glad I was born in the ‘80s.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Balto17 said...

A great film. Hi-larious. John Candy is always great, even when he's doing dramatic work, like his bit part in JFK. But the movie is called Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

 
At 8:13 AM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

GREAT movie...I've been quoting lines from it for almost 20 years.

Here's one of my favorites:

"And I really don't care for the way your company left me in the middle of f'n nowhere with f'n keys to a f'n car that isn't f'n there. And I really didn't care to f'n walk down a f'n highway and across a f'n runway to get back here to have you smile at my f'n face. I want a f'n car RIGHT F'N NOW!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home