NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

A Single Story

Is this what it’s come to? Is this what I’ve become? I came into my office Mon. morning to discover a lawn display ad (think “For Sale” signs in front of houses) propped against my chair. The ad read, “Single? WalthamSingles.com” Yes, I laughed aloud, though I’ve yet to find out who left me the sign, which now stands next to my desk for all to see.

A lot’s happened since my year in AmeriCorps*NCCC. An admitted steroid user became California’s governor, an entire sport finally admitted it has a steroid problem, and Boston became the city of champions. My musical taste expanded beyond DMB and I started experimenting w/ my sideburns. Somewhere along the way, I changed from the guy most people assumed would be married at 25 to the guy most doubt will ever settle down.

How did this happen? I don’t have the answer, and I don’t need one. I’ve made some great friends since graduating AmeriCorps, and I’ve lived in some great cities, people and places I may have never known had I been in a relationship. You may think I’m antisocial, ugly and/or smelly―I’m not. I am, however, afraid of falling into a relationship.

Trading secrets and kisses doesn't scare me, nor does the potential for extreme pain and sadness. I’m weary of relationships for fear of what I could miss, all the hors d’oeuvres life presents, the characters and settings of my future history. To my friends who’ve already found a fellow protagonist, I congratulate you and offer my love and support. As for me, I’m content with my current plot. I’ve always loved choose-your-own-adventure books, anyway.

1 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Balto17 said...

I think you might have a better single story than that ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home