NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Quarter-Life Crisis

I recently emailed all my friends about their possible interest in an opening at my YMCA. Since 99 percent of my friends don't live in Boston, taking the job would require them to pack their belongings and move to a new city. As I watch 25 grow smaller in the rearview, it hurts me to think how few of my friends would drop everything and start a new life. I, personally, can think of numerous scenarios that would entice me to begin the next chapter. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy working for the Y, and have begun to establish a good reputation throughout the Association. But if you gave me a couple months' notice, I could easily leave it all behind for, say, three months of all-expenses-paid backpacking through Europe or a job working for the Conservency on Catalina Island.

While walking to my car after work today, I wondered how many of my friends, at this point in our lives, would be willing to do the same. So many have committed themselves, whether it be to relationships, mortgages, grad school or careers. Almost everyone is at a different stage of life than I, leaving me to wonder if one way is better than the other. If life were a race, who would be winning?

2 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Two things:

a) HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

b) Quarter-life. Crisis. Yes. Hear that.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Balto17 said...

Dude, I was backreading your blog today, and I have to say, I enjoyed your short post about your quarter-life crisis. I am slightly envious of the path your life has taken. You've taken risks and experienced a lot of great experiences. At least, it sounds like you have. And the fact that you'd be willing to drop everything and face a new challenge is admirable. You're probably living the life most people would want to live but don't have the guts to do it. I, for one, wouldn't drop everything I'm doing here in grad school. I don't have that kind of spontaneity. But kudos to you, good sir, for living your life with few barriers and an open highway in front of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home