NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

You Don't Want Us? We Don't Want You!

Leaving a bad taste in New Englanders' mouths was Johnny Damon turning his back on the fans who made him a celebrity. Even worse was the fact he signed for only a few extra dollars to play for the team most Sox fans hate more than gas prices. It's like having your g/f dump you a guy you absolutely hate, and her only reasoning is he drives a '99 Corolla while you've got a '98.

Less than a year ago, Damon was quoted on mlb.com as saying:

"I want to stay here, but I may walk and go home. I might shut it down in a couple of years.

"There's no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they are going to come after me hard. It's definitely not the most important thing to go out there for the top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It's not what I need.

"I'd like to finish my career here [Boston]. I'm not sure they'll let me do it, if they offer me [only] two or three years [on a contract]. I want at least four or five."

The fact he sold his soul for a measly $12M (which really isn't a lot in pro baseball) is disgusting. Not even allowing the Sox to counter-offer makes it even more despicable.

If Theo returns to the Sox, he will undoubtedly feel like a mother who leaves the kitchen for five minutes and returns to discover her kids have knocked over the fridge, broken all the dishes and stuffed the cat in the microwave. Is this the winter we will describe to our grandchildren as the downfall of the franchise? Are we destined for another 86 years of misery?

Regardless, there will be few cheers for Damon when he returns to Fenway as a hated Yankee. Here's hoping his career spirals into an underachieving abyss, without even sniffing another postseason.

4 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Balto17 said...

Don't worry, the Yankees have continued their not-so-successful recent tradition of signing aging stars to insanely large contracts. They gave him four years. He's probably got two left in him. The Yankees didn't address their pitching needs, so it's not as though Damon's getting another World Series title any time soon.

I wonder what it feels like to be Bernie Williams. He received a lot of crap last season -- and rightly so -- for having a terrible arm and even worse range. Well, Damon literally throws like a girl and certainly doesn't cover as much ground as a premier centerfielder, such as Andruw Jones or Torii Hunter.

The Red Sox, I think, are better positioned without him. If they had signed him to a four-year deal, he would've tanked in two, and they would've been stuck with him for the other two.

 
At 7:28 PM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

I agree with Balto about Damon's OF defense. The fact is, he's average.
If I were a Sox fan I would boo him relentlessly when he comes back to Fenway. It's disgusting that a guy can turn from one team to the next. The most hated rivals in sports history...a team that they've battled tooth and nail with for the last 4 years (let alone 70 years).
I hope he tears a hammy on Opening Day. F him.
All for some money?
F the Yankees. I'm pulling more than ever for the Sox, Orioles, Blue Jays and Devil Rays.

Gregg

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

GO PHILLIES!!!!!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

GO PHILLIES!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home