NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Monday, December 12, 2005

The Power of Possibility

A while back (August), T-Rock wrote about different professions she wishes she'd pursued. The heading was In Another Life, Maybe. It was very well-written (she does have an Elon diploma), but something struck a nerve w/ me. Only now am I getting a chance to reply.

No one should close the door on any dreams, esp. at the age of 25. It's never too late to throw out the map and drive down a side street. Unless your goals involve becoming an Olympic athlete or swimming across the world, anything is possible, at any age.

I didn't land a "real job" until December, and it's what I've wanted to do since college. I love the variety of working at the YMCA, overseeing many departments that keep me on my toes year-round. Whether it's camp, teen programs, pre-school sports or any other hats I wear, I always find challenges to keep me focused and happy.

With that being said, there're still many career paths I hope to pursue, and many non-career paths I plan to explore, as well. With no lease and no car payment, and with student loans almost paid off (thanks, AmeriCorps), there's nothing stopping me from quitting my job and moving to Montana for six months of writing. I could sell my car and hop a plane to Europe and teach children tennis. I could go back to fighting fires in California, wait tables on Catalina or work at a camp anywhere in the world. I could wake up tomorrow, get into my car and drive for as long as there's road ahead.

My point is it's never too late to give up on dreams, no matter how old you are. Fear, for the most part, is the only thing preventing a change in job, relationship or address. What would you do if you weren't afraid? Think about that the next time you catch yourself thinking, "If only I..."

Whenever someone asks me what's wrong, I tell them I'm dying. The funny thing is, we all are, day by day. Isn't that reason enough to throw out your current map and re-discover the one you charted when you were younger? Be sure to rip out the rearview mirror, too. You won't need to look back.

1 Comments:

At 12:04 AM, Blogger Balto17 said...

Good bloggin', J-Mazz. I have to say I agree with you, and yet, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed about what I'm going to do in one and a half years when I'm finished with graduate school. I guess I shouldn't start worrying yet, but I can't help but think about it from time to time.

You offer some nice advice, though, and I will take it to heart in more than a year if I still don't know what to do with my life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home