NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Star is Born

It happened once a year for at least 5 years; it was the stuff grownup stories are made of, the ones we tell our significant others in bed or coworkers at happy hour. Or sometimes we tell our sibling’s friends in at attempt to embarrass them…but surprisingly, many relate, some even have parallel tales.
Maybe it’s because deep down, everyone wants to be a star.
Our Thanksgiving skits started as an attempt on my part to recreate an in-school production of the first thanksgiving. Of course, all tales involving Native Americans become slightly skewed by us white folk, so not only did we have a Pocahontas, we had a John Smith, a Sacagawea, a variety of rivaling chiefs and their helpers. And they all managed to come together for dinner, transcending time and lifelong feuds.
I remember seeing my parents and grandparents in the audience during the first skit I participated in with my kindergarten class. It’s my first memory of trying to be cool- trying to get rid of my family after our performance. I remember being embarrassed that they came to watch, shrugging off their hugs and rushing them out the door as they left. Trying to look independent like other kids. Then, as I watched them walk away, I was very, very sad. My first memory of guilt.
So in an attempt to recreate that skit at home, I enlisted my younger siblings. My baby sister was used as a baby Jesus…obviously not present at the first Thanksgiving, but it somehow made sense at the time. As years passed, we created costumes, props, musical accompaniment. Each year we would start practicing the night before, and by 10 am the next day, we had a 2-act play. My parents were good sports and took time out of turkey preparation to watch us butcher the story, perform dance numbers and spread dried corn gourds all over their carpet. We even had a bow and arrow, constructed out of sticks and ancient arrowheads passed down from my grandfather. I remember one year creating a tree with a hundred leaves, made from construction paper and straws.
At the time, I felt lucky to have my brother and sister because it meant that my vision as a director could be fulfilled. It was never a one man show, we were always 3 strong. I now realize that 3 strong isn’t only applicable to Thanksgiving skits, but to everything in my life. I will never be alone.

2 Comments:

At 8:14 PM, Blogger Lindsay said...

Aw, adorable. My two younger sisters and I used to write and perform a Christmas play every year. Themes have included such things as the misadventures of a guardian angel and the difficulty of holding Christmas during a power outage. Genius.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Balto17 said...

Might I add that the title of this thread reminds me of The Simpsons. (Most things remind me of the Simpsons.) In particular, it reminds me of an episode called A Star is Burns.

That's all I wanted to say. Substantive? You betcha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home