NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A man in chef's clothes

This morning I saw a man in chef’s clothes- the white shirt with buttons and mock collar. It looked like his name, or maybe a restaurant’s name was on the lapel. He was wearing black and white pants and those great rubber clogs. On his back, he carried a bag that held, as I can only imagine, special knives or other instruments that make meals incredible. It was like a bag of magic tricks, I felt.
There is a building we walk by on occasion, on a corner near Adams Morgan, that is half-demolished, half waiting for someone to own it and love it. It’s huge and stands out, it’s gutted and something about it is waiting to become a restaurant. We have walked by it and talked about it and dreamt up plans for it. What if we bought it? What if we made it a restaurant? What if we made it a great bar? Or a sushi place?
I wonder- at what point in life, can you ever be truly satisfied with what you have? Is this a kind of yearning that will always make me want to do something different, or do I really only feel this way because I'm not following some dream i have or once had? Am I unsatisfied by nature, or because I'm supposed to be someone else?
I have an office with a huge window that brings great sunlight in the mornings. I have a nice desk and a comfortable chair and a job that lets me work hard, and also write for this blog, and occasionally shop online….I have coffee in the morning and friends at work and sometimes we even take walks.
But this morning, when I saw that chef, I could hardly imagine what it would be like to have a life so different than mine. And even though I could hardly imagine it, I think I wanted it. I wanted the clogs.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Emiole said...

Keep striving lady! Keep the salon alive in your heart!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home