NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Friday, February 04, 2005

Calculate THIS!

I recently started tracking the number of calories I consume each day with a website called FitDay.com. I have created a monster.
It’s a pretty comprehensive site; you can calculate the number of calories you eat, fat, carbs, etc. It calculates how many of your calories come from fat, sugar, carbs, protein- you name it.
You can pick a category of food- like vegetables, and you choose from their list what you ate. Then it automatically adds whatever you pick to your daily total.
You can also input the type of activities you do and how many calories you burn. For example, merely sitting in my office, typing, answering my phone and gossiping with coworker’s burns approximately 251 calories. 30 minutes of running burns about 300 calories. Likewise, every day, just by living and breathing, I burn about 1500 calories. Apparently I am high strung.
The bad part- I no sooner eat my oatmeal, finish my tea or eat my soup then I’m on the site, adding it up. If I see numbers I don’t like, I can guilt myself into not eating anything else. And if I see numbers I do like, then I don’t eat because it becomes a game. How low can I go?
Actually seeing what I put into my body is scary. It makes me very conscious of what I am doing. Yesterday looked pretty good (or pretty pathetic depending on how you look at it) until dinner time.
Last night I went out with friends and had 4 beers. I just “logged” those…Right now I am trying to decide how to enter various bits of bar food. I can’t find “Some nachos, a few pieces of soft pretzel with dip and several cheese fries” anywhere on this site. And I’d say that’s a pretty common night out with the girls. They need a “Bar Food” section. Sheesh.
I can’t decide if this is a good thing or not. Sometimes I border on neurotic when it comes to food, dieting and the likes. This site could perpetuate my issues. But then again, I am a female, and being thin, popular and beautiful are the most important things ever. And world peace.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Blogger Marie said...

Hi, Im one of Emily's friends from college and read the No Sales Tax blog via the link on her page. I have always enjoyed the blog, until today that is. Thanks to you, I am now addicted to fitday.com. Shoot.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

Calories, schmalories. Stick w/ six small meals a day and you're golden. You eat the same amount of food as you would in three meals, but you avoid hunger the entire day by eating every few hours. Drink lotsa water, too, to keep you feeling full and hydrated. I recommend purchasing a Nalgene and decorating it w/ yer favorite stickers. Once you spend money on it and make it look cool, you'll feel obligated to use it on a daily basis. I like to consume four or five Nalgenes a day. Actually, I drink the water that's IN the Nalgene. Eating the actual water bottle would be difficult considering it's made of plastic but boasts the same qualities as glass (aside from shattering). In case yer wondering where my nutrition expertise comes from, I've been a Men's Health subscriber since 1997. I also stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last nite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home