NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Live from Atlanta

I am currently writing to you from the Joint Mathematics Meeting in Atlanta, Georgia. Otherwise known as Hotlanta. Otherwise known as Downtown closes at 7 pm. Otherwise known as the city where the homeless people really want to help you find your way before they beg for money. Lovely.
I am spending the week trying to convince math professors to pitch the actuarial science career path to their students. Do I even need to describe the people I have been dealing with all week? Just picture your weirdest college math professor and multiply that by about 5000.
They snort. They talk really loud and way too close. They LOVE free stuff (like staple removers and calculators). They say things like, "Hang on, I need to take a minute to figure out what I want to say......." (three or four minutes later, pacing around having several conversations with oneself) "Ok, now I forgot it. Have a nice day."
Saving grace- I saw a few of them at Hooters this evening. Yes, I went to Hooters and so did they. But Hooters is another story for another day. Right now I have to get back to the special math movie they are showing on the hotel tv channel. You can't buy this kind of fun.

2 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

it's strange how some cities are like that...downtown is dead after the work hour is over. Houston was like that too. When I was there in October I would say it was the most boring city in the U.S. - other people swear by it though? DC, NYC, Chicago, St. Louis, Boston, Philly...these are cities that the city-life and atmosphere are in the city. Most of the bars in Houston, Atlanta and even Miami are on the outskirts of the city...in other sections. Miami it's in Coral Gables or Miami Beach - but not downtown. In Atlanta its in Buckhead which is about 15 minutes away from the downtown area...Houston the same.

Strange to me...I would think they would want everything right there - in the same place?

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

Seven of Keene's nine bars are downtown.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home