NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Inauguration blues

So, tomorrow is the inauguration. To add insult to the injury of that man running our country for another 4 years, I have to work.
Our Exec. Director sent out an email today that said we could wear jeans tomorrow, and that we were each invited to “brown bag” our lunch and eat in the conference room, where there will TV’s set up so that we can all watch the inauguration together….

So let me predict what my day will be like tomorrow:

I will wake up ‘bout 6:30 to a horrific traffic report, detailing roads closures in DC due to the inauguration and the snow. I will put on jeans, despite the fact that my dress pants are much, much more comfortable, because that’s what my boss wants me to do, and we don’t want her to think I am ungrateful, do we.
I’ll bundle up and head outside to spend the next 10 minutes scraping ice off my car, debating in my head (and sometimes, accidentally out loud) whether or not to take Chain Bridge or Key Bridge to work. With almost every road in DC closed tomorrow and every religious fanatic and dumb, redneck Bush supporter praying and singing their way around town tomorrow, getting to work is going to be a nightmare.
When I eventually get to work, I’ll be greeted by our republican secretary, no doubt wearing the same elephant scarf she wore on Election Day. I’ll give her the same fake smile I did on that day, and make my way down the hall.
Around 11:30, people in my office, all wearing their uncomfortable jeans, republican pins and balding heads will happily skip down to the conference room. I will sit in my office and try to look like I am doing something so important that I cannot watch that MONKEY get sworn in.
Someone will no doubt, convince me to come down to the conference room, where 15 republicans and several downtrodden, defeated democrats will greet me. I will sit down, and do whatever I have to do to not laugh when thousands of people turn their backs on Bush during the parade, or throw eggs at his car. I will not get involved in political discussion. I will refrain from insulting Laura Bush’s attempts to be classy. I will not declare that I support the war. I will not eat any elephant shaped cookies. I will not admit defeat.
I’ll get back to my computer and IM the hell out of my roommate about how annoyed I am at republicans, snow, jeans, elephants and the sad state of affairs. She will cheer me up by talking about food.
I will leave work tomorrow praying for the next 4 years to fly by, praying that we have a snow day, praying that no one in my office EVER finds out I have a blog.

4 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

Ever heard of public transportation?

 
At 8:26 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

yes, yes I have. and public transportation, including buses amd metros take longer than driving. I have tried public transportation and take it whenever it is conveniant or actually going to save me some time....

 
At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JMazz - if only we were all so noble and smart as you to love taking public transportation and having no idea and not caring how we're ever going to pay off our student loans.... good for you!

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

Dear Anonymous (if that's your REAL name),
I take public transportation cuz I can't afford a car in the city. As for student loans, I'll be sure yer the first person I notify when I've paid them off in 2007. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get back on my high horse and ride to the gym.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home