NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Friday, January 14, 2005

In response to monotony

I can understand what you’re saying, J-Mazz, but I would volunteer the notion that maybe you might try looking at life from another perspective.
I sit at a desk every day, as well. And while I do enjoy writing, reading, conversing with people, and recruiting, it does get a bit monotonous. However, when things start to get dull I like to remind myself, that while I spend 7.5 hours a day at work, I get to spend the other 16.5 hours a day any way I want.
Sometimes this means putting on comfy pajamas and laughing my ass off with my roommate at bad TV. Sometimes it means watching my boyfriend play darts while his friends buy me beer. Sometimes it means cooking a wonderful meal, crocheting a hat, and reading a book. Sometimes it means going to the gym.
When I get done at work, I genuinely look forward to the hours yet to come. They are mine, I do with them what I please.
I recognize that without that 9 to 5 (or 8 to 4:15 in my case) I wouldn’t be able to relax, workout, create or love….I’d have no money. I’d have no where to live, no heat, no food. (And let’s face it, no food is a friggin tragedy).
Office life is not for everyone. Many days I look out the window and wonder if my time might be better spent combing beaches in Thailand for bodies, teaching Japanese kids how to speak English, creating my own clothing line, or even laying on the couch, all day, watching Maury Povich. It is these times when I remind myself that this job, this 8 to 4:15 is what lets me do whatever I want between 4:16 pm and 7:59 am. My job gives me the freedom to wear want I want, cook what I want, go where I want, see who I want. It gives me the means to provide for myself, to live. It gives me a reason to get that much more excited about the weekend. It makes me look forward to, and plan, the hours I spend outside the office.
I’ll admit that I don’t use all the office hours working on “office junk”. I find time to blog, to IM my roommate and to surf craftster.org. Hey, everyone needs a break every once and a while.
Maybe you are made for the great outdoors, maybe you will find your life’s work exploring a cave or teaching a child or fighting a fire. But for the time being, enjoy what hours you have outside of work, be creative and live.

4 Comments:

At 3:17 PM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

You said you wouldn't be able to "relax, workout, create or love" w/out your nine to five. I disagree. Relaxing might be difficult w/out knowing how you're gonna eat, but you can work out at playgrounds all over the city (pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, fruit roll-ups). You can create things using nature's gifts (wow, I sound like a hippie) or others' trash. And you definitely don't need anything to be able to love.

Btw, I didn't see any "boobs" in the locker room today. Drat.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

well, the kind of quality of life i want means i cannot do any of those things without the dough, bro. how bout them eagles :)

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

"Not in our house."

Go Pats.

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Emily said...

I'm with my sister-friend Trock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home