NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Friday, December 10, 2004

Surfing USA

I’m heading down to South Carolina tonight with my boyfriend to see my brother graduate from college. My baby brother- who used to set up GI Joe and Barbie camping trips in the basement with me, who cried when I told him I’d play kickball and then changed my mind, who stole the pennies I worked so hard for at a lemonade stand (and he’s got the scar to prove it) is a grown up now. Or, is supposed to be a grown up now.

I’m worried about him. I see this fun kid, a beach baby with so much personality and spunk who has somehow managed to duck and avoid and even run away from any ambition or dreams anyone, including himself, has ever had for him. How do you get such a cool guy from such a slacker?

He was a good student growing up. He loved history and science and read any book he could find that might or might not have to do with science fiction. He was always at the center of a baseball game, or a swim meet, or even just a neighborhood water gun fight. Where he went, adoring friends, sisters and parents followed.

He got in some trouble in high school. Mostly “high school kid” stuff… I wasn’t worried. I knew when he got to college he’d do exactly as I did- take classes, get involved, have a lot of fun but learn enough to last him a lifetime. I knew he’d find what he loved and go after it. He would discover his passion.

Turns out, I have heard my brother use the word “love” concerning only 2 things since he got to college- his girlfriend, and surfing.

His girlfriend is a nice girl. She is pretty and a great athlete and she looks at my brother the way so many before her have looked at him- with so much love and adoration. Incidentally, she is his polar opposite.

And surfing is something I myself have always wanted to learn how to do. I can imagine the feeling he must have on top of water like that- almost like he is conquering it. It must be such a rush of fear but love of speed and crystal clear blue, all at once. Ironically, he isn’t getting a degree, or a high paying job, from surfing.

What is there, really to do? Everyone wants me to talk to him. My parents say, tell him you’ll help him find a job or a place to live. Give him a push. Show him the way.

What is beginning to ring ever more clear and evident in my head, is that he has found his own way…. It’s not what any of us would have planned.

2 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

1) i heard your boyfriend is hot
2) he will make his own choices in life
3) you're a great sister

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger T-Rock said...

1) Yes, you heard correct.
2) I hope so. I just want him to be happy....And I don't want to have to monetarily support his happiness
3) thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home