NoSalesTax

Two Elon alumni (2002) have pooled their talents to bring excitement and joy to your day. One is a classy woman who combines her Italian and feminine powers to influence men of all shapes and sizes. The other is a tall blond man who relies on wit and boyish good looks to impress women, especially when they're drunk. Join them in their epic pursuit of the phenomenon known as adulthood. NoSalesTax side effects may include addiction and abrupt laughter as colleagues look on in confused jealousy.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Suicide by Train

So some guy jumped in front of the Metro yesterday at Metro Center, one of the busiest stations in DC. It made me wonder what I would do if I'd witnessed the event. Granted, there's not much I could do to save the person's life. Walking off the platform as the train arrives is pretty tough for an onlooker to stop. I wonder if I'd watch in horror, or turn away in hopes of avoiding the image that would surely last long after the holiday season. I often think about these things. So, what d'ya think you would do?

5 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

I have no problem with my own pain...in fact, pain doesn't bother me too much if it's mine. But other people's pain - no good. I honestly think I would've lost my lunch if I would've seen that.

PS - I was at Metro Center heading back to Courthouse (Orange Line) about an hour before that happened.

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

What scares me most about this situation is that in the moments before this man was killed, he lay, or sit or kneel (several reports indicate a different position) on the tracks. people saw him and yelled to him....
The actual hit, the splatter and the huge horrible moment that he was killed would scare me, and i probably would have trouble getting that picture out of my mind.
But, I think seeing him lay there or sit there, seeing the action of him putting his body in front of that train would scare me more than anything. Especially if I had seen his face, his eyes. Just that very human moment where you look at someone and wonder, is he scared? Does he hate his life? Is he trying to make a point? Can I save him? Who is he? That moment of desperation would stay with me a very, very long time. It would haunt me.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Gregg M. Schmidt said...

it would haunt you? why - this person did what they wanted to do. i could understand if you thought about it and it bothered you for a little while, but i leave the haunting to the Haunted House in Disney World.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger T-Rock said...

I think you're misunderstanding. What would haunt me would be the secnds before it happened. It's a window in time that you can never prepare for. I'm just pictureing looking into someones eyes right before they die. What are they seeing? What would I see? It's sensory overload

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger J-Mazz said...

Suicide may be the most selfish act one can commit. I'm just glad Clarence jumped into the river before George Bailey.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home